Monday, February 14, 2011

GCCS - Day 1

So today was my first day at what shall hereforeto be referred to as the Giant Corporate Cooking School (or GCCS for short).  But let's back up a hot second, okay?

I realize that the posts have been a bit piecemeal and lack an overall narrative.  I figure no one is reading them or the few people who are can just call me on the phone and say "what the fuck?"  But let's for a moment assume that other people start reading this blog, people who don't know me and have no idea what's going on.  Or more realistically, what if I get amnesia and have to refer to it to remember what happened in my life?

Anyway, for the sake of clarity, let me give a quick explanation of this year so far.  January:  I realize I cannot keep living the way I have been, decide to pursue my passion for baking by taking a once a week pro baking class at a local school, give my two weeks notice at my day job, and then decide to go to a full time professional program at GCCS.  February:  I throw a great birthday party, my computer dies epically, I go to Vegas for the first time ever, and classes start at the GCCS.  Okay, we all up to speed?  Moving on.

As for today... well, it can only get better.  I hope.  I have been stupidly excited about the prospect of going to school and so I got there extra early, or so I thought.  Come to find out, I was actually about 6 hours late because apparently my classes start at 6am, not 2pm.  And the clusterfuckery just grew from there.  The entire experience left me angry, dispirited, and pretty sure I've made a $30k mistake.  AND IT'S ONLY THE FIRST DAY.

Did I learn anything?  Yeah don't cut raw meat and then vegetables on the same cutting board.  That's what a $30k culinary education teaches you kids!  Aren't you glad I'm here to pass on the info?

This isn't all there is, right?  It will get better?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Let's focus on something a bit more positive: some of the stuff I ate in Vegas!

Bouchon.  Fuck yeah.   The trout was perfection.  My only regret?  That I didn't eat the eyes.  Because, hey, why not?

Even their fries *ahem*, sorry their pommes frites were smack yer momma good.

And then there was that deep fried twinkie on Fremont St.  Let's not talk about it, okay?

Did you know there's an In-N-Out University?  I can't make that up:

So I guess if things don't work out at GCCS, then there are other options...


No comments:

Post a Comment