Friday, February 4, 2011

Decadence

A friend asked me the other day if I noticed a big difference between the way my stuff turns out in school and the way the chef's turns out.  Actually no, there's not that much difference in the way things taste and I don't think it's because of my mad kitchen kung-fu.  I think it's because the recipes we are given have been so thoroughly tested and refined that you really can't screw them up.  So unless you switch the baking soda for baking powder (*cough* *cough* *ahem*), the recipe will turn out delicious.

What difference I really hone in on is how incredibly skilled Chef is in the kitchen.  Granted this woman has been cooking professionally for more than 20 years, so every every chop, slice, mix, and pour is just second nature to her.  What she's doing is so ingrained, it's like watching a well choreographed dance.  I aspire to that.

Yesterday was chocolate day.  Sample seven different chocolates?  Don't mind if I do.  Learn how to make buttermilk chocolate cupcakes and chocolate decadence cake?  Yes, please.

I also finally found the hot dog truck that camps out near the school.  All natural, grass fed beef hotdog for lunch?  Do you even have to ask?  Of course I ate one.  Seeing me chow down, one of my classmates commented "Hotdogs and cupcakes in one day?  I don't think I can be that decadent."  No worries, honey.  I've got it covered for both of us.

I haven't really talked about school and what's going on, but suffice it to say I love it and the Chef is amazing.  That she has an off the wall sense of humor and looks like Jane Lynch is a total bonus.

As I was walking back to my seat, post hotdog, I passed her as she was testing her cupcakes.

"Eat this!"  she admonished and handed me half a cupcake.  The two of us stood there, groaning with pleasure and savoring every decadent bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment