Tuesday, February 15, 2011

GCCS - Day 2

6am is EARLY.  Having to be somewhere and functional means I have to get up even earlier.

So of course I walked in wholly unprepared.  I was physically there and dressed in the appropriate uniform, but had no idea what had been covered the day before, what we were supposed to be doing today, or anything else.

There are two chef instructors in my first class and one of them reminds me of Senior Chang from Community.  The other has an indistinct European accent (French? Dutch?).  They both don't seem to take themselves too seriously but are quite serious about cleanliness and proper technique.  I can get behind that.  They demoed linzer cookie dough and then we had to make it in teams.  It was just like the first day at the other cooking school, everyone nervously checking their recipes, running back to the ingredient table multiple times, looking around confused and helpless.  Chef NotChang walked down the aisle, sniffed the air, and said "I can smell your fear."  I thought it was funny.

Next we made chocolate chip cookie dough.  The cookies will actually bake tomorrow.  At least I figured out how to get the recipes and found the homework, so I should be better prepared.

There are more people in the class than I thought, around 25.  That may not seem like a lot in a lecture style classroom, but when you factor in people running for ingredients, the sound of mixers, running water, checking the ovens, taking up space in the sink, it's hectic.  Some of them seem really young.  Some of them seem really dumb.

The other class I'm taking is the sanitation and safety class aka the Fucking D'uh class.  Wash fruits and veggies before you cut them up!  Don't use the same knife to cut up meat and veggies!  Wash your hands!  Don't sneeze on the food!

There's also the temperature danger zone we're constantly being warned about (anything warmer than 41 degrees fahrenheit and less than 135 degrees).  Every time I hear that phrase I think of this:


I suppose, in a way, it's strangely appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment