Monday, March 7, 2011

Oh yeah, this is a food blog

Behold my weekend creation:



What is it?  Baked not-mac and cheese.  That's right, I got all the fixings for straight up Fannie Farmer baked mac and cheese but I forgot the macaroni.  You would think it would be pretty hard to forget such a key component of the dish, but you would be wrong.  So I substituted a head of cauliflower that was quickly seeing its better days and a bunch of kale.  The result?  Pretty good actually, although it may be the worst of both worlds.

Here's what I mean:  It's not exactly the indulgent carb and cheese fest I was craving, and the healthful taste of the cauliflower and kale belie the smothering of butter and cheese.  So it tastes like it's good for me, but it's not and it doesn't satisfy my craving for cheese and pasta even though it should.  Hence a quite tasty yet unsatisfying dish.

That hasn't stopped me from eating it, of course.  Waste not, want not.

No comments:

Post a Comment