Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fuck Cake

Believe it or not people, you have to specialize when you're a pastry chef.  That's right, the person that makes amazing cookies is not the person who decorates wedding cakes and wedding cakers don't make good bread as a general rule.

I already know I want to make bread.  Yeast and flour and proofing, oh my!

But, while I know this, I still have to learn other pastry disciplines.  I want to be a well rounded pastry chef (in addition to my expanding waistline).  Plus the Giant Corporate Cooking School curriculum dictates that I have to and since I'm paying for it, I might as well.

Today we made cakes.  Eventually I will have to go through an entire six week course on cakes, but this was an introduction - make a 6" cake, cut three layers, fill, and decorate it like a birthday cake for a girly girl in 1987.  Okay, those were not the specific instruction, but there were lots of rosettes and shells and hot pink icing.  It's not that it was hard, just exacting.

And you know what?  I fucking hate cake decorating.  I do not have the eye, steady hand, or patience for that kind of detail work.

Surprisingly, it didn't turn out quite as terrible as I hoped.  I wish I had a picture, but at the end of class - after presenting, of course - I punch it and threw it out.

Yay, catharsis.

The most amazing thing of all?  I was using a serrated knife all day and didn't cut myself once.

No comments:

Post a Comment