Wednesday, April 10, 2013

In Tasmania

Well I made it.  

I am actually in Tasmania.

Let's just take a moment, shall we?

It was not quite the triumphant arrival I was hoping for.  For one, I flew at night, thus depriving myself of that first bird's eye view of Tas.  It was nearly 10pm by the time I collected my bag and headed out of the airport, only to find that the promised shuttle that "meets every incoming flight" did not, in fact, meet flights after sunset.  And the taxis charge more after dark.

Does Tas have a plague of sparkle vamps I don't know about?  Are there ruffians about?  Highwaymen?  I really don't understand the concept of prices rising as the sun sets.  At this point my options were pay the premium to get to the hostel I'd already paid for or sleep in the airport.

I probably should have chosen airport.

After I handed over my $50 for the 14km ride (say it with me now: OUCH), I decided that I needed a drink.

Unfortunately, downtown Launceston isn't exactly a happening place after dark.  (There must be vampires.)  The only place I could find serving anything was an absurdly well lit Keno parlor (I KNOW - Keno still exists and people still play it?!?).

I ordered a pint of Boag's, the local brew, and scanned the room.  The situation was ripe for poor choices and regrettable decisions.  Sadly, I was the most attractive person in the room and the only person not feeding quarters into slot machines.  

Since they didn't serve any hard liquor (what?) and I didn't want to drink anymore beer - hey, I'm on the top bunk, it's annoying climbing into and out of the bunk to go to the bathroom AND I have to remember the key because the bathroom is down the hall - I just left.

Defeated, I went back to the hostel. It was only 11pm and a total ghost town.  Not a creature was stirring.  Except for the vampires. So I went to bed.

This morning, I was woken early by the other girls in the dorm.  I hiked around Cataract Gorge and got my first look at Tassie proper.  It is beautiful and unlike any place I've ever been.  Imagine if the Pacific Northwest portion of the States had an affair with England and the resulting baby was banished to the southern hemisphere and filled with animals that have pouches and hop, and that's basically Tasmania.

And now for my least favorite activity: MAKING DECISIONS.  Do I hike the Overland Track, aka the hike I've been telling everyone is my reason for this trip, or do I rent a car and see more of the island?  Or do I say fuck it and just book another bus tour?  All I know is the hostel is only paid through tomorrow morning, so I need to decide fast.



No comments:

Post a Comment