Tuesday, September 6, 2011

How sweet it is (for now)

I am halfway through my very last class at Giant Corporate Cooking School.  There are only two projects left to realize before I walk out those doors for the last time ever and just keep going.  The reality is beginning to set in and I know I'm going to miss it.  But I'm also chomping at the bit to move onward to other things. 

But here's what I've been doing:


My super girly princess torte: yellow sponge cake with vanilla buttercream and raspberry jam covered in marzipan and topped with a giant marzipan rose.  Not my thing, both on the cake and color palette front, but it is what it was supposed to be.


Croquembouche: a traditional French wedding cake made up of cream puffs dipped in caramel and stacked on top of each other.  Legend has it that famed pastry chef Antoine Carame came up with the idea to torment future pastry students.  Or maybe it was when he witnessed marrying couples kissing over mounds of sweetened buns, the idea being if they could do it without knocking any over they would have a prosperous future.  

And hey, does that rose at the bottom look familiar?


Reduce, reuse, recycle people!  Besides, who eats the marzipan decorations?

No comments:

Post a Comment