Friday, September 23, 2011

Bittersweet

I tied my last cravat yesterday.

Classes at the Giant Corporate Cooking School are over.  People I have seen and worked with at obscene hours of the morning on a daily basis for the better part of a year are going to stop being a part of my life.  Or at least I won't be seeing them every weekday and commiserating about whatever the task du jour was.  There are a few people I will keep up with, but it won't be the same.

I've been so frazzled lately (witness the half a dozen blog posts that never made it), I hadn't even given it much thought.  It wasn't until we were scrubbing down the kitchen for the final time that it hit me:  I won't be cooking in here anymore.  And that was the tipping point, that was when I began to look around and realize, this is it.  

I didn't cry, but I thought I was going to.  Everyone lingered a bit longer than usual.  There was hugging.  We did the hokey pokey (I kid you not).  And then...

Well, I had to go to work.  Life rolls on, even when you want to stop for a moment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment