Friday, March 29, 2013

Made. It.

Greetings from the future, my North American Nommers!  I sit here in the state library of New South Wales, typing this on an absurdly tiny keyboard a day ahead of you because I made it.  

That's right, I'm in Australia.  

Sadly, there are no flying cars or sharks with laser beams in the future.  Or at least, not that I've seen.  It's possible Oz is holding out on me.  A lot of things are possible, because I'm not entirely sure I'm just comatose in a farmhouse in Kansas and I'm dreaming this whole thing.

After all, this is what I looked like when I first got here:


Never let it be said I'm not willing to show the ugly truth

JET LAG.

So I took off from Los Angeles on Tuesday afternoon and landed in Sydney on Thursday morning.  There was a lot of salty plane food and movies (7, yes I watched 7 movies) in between.

There's been a lot of walking since.  I've hit the Royal Botanical Gardens, Chinatown, Hyde Park, the Opera House, Circular Quay, Manly Beach, and now the Library.  

And there are pictures, oh yes, there are pictures.  I just don't know how to access them, since I'm using my iPhone as a camera and blogging from my Kindle.  Allegedly, there's an app to solve my technical woes.  ALLEGEDLY.  But there may not be a lot of pics while the Noms Away HQ is mobile.  (The above pic was taken with my kindle, which is a bit clunky for quick snaps and touristy things.)

Some observations thus far:

-Finding a grocery store this morning made me feel like a genius and nearly weep with joy.  Food is expensive and being able to make my own is key to staying in my budget, but the first few days I was just too out of it to really deal with hunting one down.  Today, I just randomly passed one and now I'm seeing them everywhere.  ALL THE FOODS WILL BE MINE, BWAHAHAHA!

-I paid AU$18 to see a movie last night because I didn't know what else to do.  That's like $20 US for a regular movie.  No one is allowed to complain about the price of movies in America to me ever again.  Also, how am I not completely movie'd out at this point?

-One of the things I dislike about traveling alone is there is no one who witnesses my acts of bravery.  I mean, I wore a bikini in public and went into the ocean, don't I get a congressional medal of honor?

-Naps are wonderful.  I mean, I knew that, but c'mon.  Naps.  For everyone.

-I miss my cats.  (Obligatory)

So that's all thus far.  More to come, most definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment