Friday, February 22, 2013

Officially Official

Soooo, I did it.

I told my job.

And it was the most anticlimactic thing ever.  I don't think the chef even blinked, he just thanked me for giving so much notice - a month.

Where was the gnashing of teeth, the beating of breasts?  I mean, it's not like they can survive without me.

(I  kid - they will be more than fine, and so will I.)

The funny thing is, even after all of that, it still felt like my trip was a pipe dream.  I've been dreaming and saving so long, it doesn't feel like it's ever actually going to happen.  And this is after I purchased the plane ticket, secured the visa, sublet my room, and told my job.  What's it going to take?

Now I know: yesterday, one of the managers came up to me and put a hand on my shoulder and said 'Is it true?  Are we losing you?'  

And that's when it hit me - I'M GOING TO AUSTRALIA.

It certainly isn't a secret anymore, but having someone I didn't specifically tell come up to me and ask me about it made it real in a way it hasn't been yet.  This is happening; time continues it's relentless march forward and I will be getting on a plane very soon.  

I mean, it's not like I'm going forever.  Two months only seems long when you're waiting for it to happen.  I fully expect to get there, blink, and then be on the plane home.  But holy shit, it's officially official.  

Oz are you ready?  Because I'm about to commence freaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment